Sunday, September 12, 2021

Book Creator

Elementary ELA teachers, are you looking for a creative way for your students to publish their writing?  Look no further than Book Creator.  Book Creator is an online tool that allows students to create their own online book.  This app is available for Apple products and is recently available to Chromebook users!  Teachers can use their school issued Google account to set up their library in Book Creator. 



I guess the big question is, how much does it cost?  Once set up, you can have up to 40 books in your library for free!  How can my students publish their writing for each of our units if there are only 40 free books available?  They are able to edit and add more to a published book at any time.  This would allow them to publish each of their writings within the same book to create a "portfolio" of their writing for the year!  Even more appealing, you can share students published books via email.  Allow parents to explore the writing their child has done all year.  

There are so many awesome features that students are sure to be excited to use.  Students can take pictures and videos to upload.  They can even use an annotating tool to draw their own images!  Students who want to create comic books/ graphic novels will be able to do so with comic templates and stickers.  Book creator is sure to take your students "final drafts" to a whole new level!
Tablet with Aa
50 hand-picked fonts to choose from
Google Photos and camera
Add images or take your own photos

Multimedia icons
Drop in video or music, or even record your voice

Pen
Use the pen tool to draw or annotate



For more tips and information on using Book Creator check out Julie Smith's post, Using Book Creator For the Web in the Elementary Classroom. 

As a new district to the 1:1 world and Chromebooks, check out The Techie Teacher for more innovative ways of using technology in the classroom.  Reach out to me as well because as studies show, collaboration and among teachers is the best way to ensure student success!


3 comments:

  1. I think even my high school students would love this! We have a large group of students who love Manga and Anime and they have a club at school for it. Many of them like to draw the characters and some even have their own characters they have created. It would be so cool to let them use this tool to create their own Manga and graphic novels to share with each other!

    ~Hannah McMurphy~

    (For some reason it will not let me choose to add my name. It will only publish my comment as unknown!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have never heard of Book Creator. I'm glad you posted about this, because I will definitely be looking into it. It is another resource I can add to my teacher and/or librarian toolbox. This is similar in a way to Storybird that I posted about. Storybird also allows students to create stories. Book Creator does seem to have more ways for students to bring out their creativity though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this tool. It is a bit ironic that I was looking for something like this to include in my unit plan for another class. I am doing a unit on Poet X and I want a way for students to write and organize Slam Poetry. I can't wait to dive into this and see if it will work for me.
    -Crystal Smoak

    ReplyDelete

A Chat With A School Librarian: Kim

Student led learning is a big part of education today.  Inquiry is a major part of this student led learning.  Students are encouraged to th...